Phot taken with Instagram
In view of his huge national popularity following the battle of Waterloo, the Duke Of Wellington was pressed to accept the post of Prime Minister. After his first cabinet meeting, somebody asked him how it had gone. “It was the most extraordinary thing” said Wellesley. in genuine puzzlement. “I gave them their orders. then all of them wanted to talk about it.”
When a friend told me this anecdote today it reminded of the Spitting Image sketch where The Iron Lady takes her cabinet out to a restaurant:
- Waitress: Would you like to order, sir?
- Thatcher: Yes. I will have the steak.
- Waitress: How would you like it?
- Thatcher: Oh, raw, please.
- Waitress: And what about the Vegetables?
- Thatcher: Oh, they’ll have the same as me!